Status: Beta reviewer - Video Reviewer
iDevices she/he owns: - iPad2- iPhone5
Description: I'm a ex designer and full-time teacher so I have a very good perspective on design elements and user interface. I have been actively testing apps for more than 1 year. I can test educational apps with kids ages 2 to 10 and have there perspective. The most important thing for me is to correctly rate an app regardless of the money I'm getting.
Profile categories: Can test apps with kids ages 3-5 - Can test apps with kids ages 6-10 - Can test apps with kids ages over 10 - Teaching kids ages 3-5 - Teaching kids ages 6-10 - Teaching kids ages over 10 - Homeschooler - Educational Technology specialist - Gamer
Date when her/his profile was validated: 2012-11-13
User who invited him/her: Jean-Eudes L.
Total review Karma: + 9 ?
|What I liked||1. The first thing that I noticed when I started the app is the song. The kid really loves it and now he sings it around the house.
2. The user interface is very simple and that helped the kid(4 years old) to acces the games on his own.
3. In the mini game where you have to choose from 2 columns I really like the scrolling can't go too fast so the kid missed the object only once or twice.
4. The cards are color coordinated and this makes it easy to find 2 of a kind.
|Improvements||1. I would like to see more characters in the mini game. Lulu and Tommie are not enough.
2. The selections of objects, animals and colors are pretty good, but you have to add all of them to the 6 and 12 card games. The 6 especially has a limited selection of cards and the game is getting very repetitive.
3. The language options are very limited, it needs more to choose from. The kids could learn some new words by playing this game.
|General review||This is a good memory game. You can pic from a range of difficulty and enter in a colorful and pleasant world for your kid. The app needs some updates in the language and diversity of characters, cards sections, but that's not something major. The app has a great value, it's only 1 dollar and it is worth every penny.|
|What I liked||1.the graphics are very well made, and I like that they are cartoony so the kid can pass quickly from watching tv to learning on the iPad
2.the fact that the game has achievements makes it even challenging, so the idea of finishing it is greater.
3.i really like that the complicated letters can be made from multiple lines, so the game is not becoming to complicated for a 5 year old.
4. The fact that the game has a lite version is amazing, so parents can try it out before they make more level purchases.
|Improvements||1.you have to add more colors for the kids to enjoy (my kid wanted that)
2.it would be great if the game had more language options, so the kids could learn some new words when they are pronounced by the app.
3.the fact that you have to complete all words in a level to pass to another one is not good. If the kid gets bored for some reason he must have an option to go to the next.
4. the stars at the top of the word you are trying to write are confusing to kids. You have to come up with a better system of evaluating the progress.
|General review||This is a very well make educational app. The graphics are crisp and the controls are very precise. Tracking words gets even more challenging when you add in the achievements. The app needs more language options and more colors to right with, but after you play the first 4 free levels you will defenetly buy the next levels via in-app purchase.|
|What I liked||1.the gameplay is unique, the combination of angry birds and pinball is a new concept that really works
2.the integration of game centre is a plus, adding achievements and leader-boards makes the game even challenging
3.the graphics are great, I really like the cartoony style and vivid colors
4.the tutorial is excellent, it explains all you need to know in a very nice visual way
|Improvements||1.when I play the game I want to see more of the level so I can decide where to go next. The ninja icons are oke, but it's hard to know where you go. Please make a zoom out option so I can see more, like pinch to zoom out in angry birds
2.i'm playing for sometime and after I killed some ninjas the music goes off, the sounds are still on, but the music is off. After I restarted the level the music was oke. Please fix this bug, it's annoying
|General review||This is a unique game that combines the gameplay of angry birds with that of pinball. Adding the cool cartoony graphics and the good sounds and the game is very well made. There is a bug with music going off but that that's nothing. The game can get addictive and it's very nice to challenge friends over Game Center|
|What I liked||1. I absolutely love the graphics (on the iPhone). They are very well made and bring back memories from a long time ago
2. The retro gameplay is great and the selection of missions is amazing. Lots of objectives and lots of hours spent playing
3. The loading times are very good and I don't have to wait to play like in other RPGs
|Improvements||1. The first thing I noticed when I opened the app on my iPad is the resolution of the game. I can play it but on 2x resolution. Please make a HD version of the game
2. You must come up with an interactive and easy to understand tutorial at the beginning of the game. A lot of people don't know how to play it (tested on a friend)
3. When I play a game I like to keep the iPad in my lap and because of that I always press the volume buttons. Please make the app rotate so the volume buttons will be on top of the device
|General review||This is a very well made RPG with great retro gameplay and good graphics for the iPhone. The fact that's missing native iPad resolution could be something to consider if you are looking to play it on the the bigger screen. The variety of objectives is very good and the number of missions will keep you playing for hours|
|What I liked||1. The first thing I noticed when I launched the app is the tutorial. It's a very well made video that teaches you the basics.
2. The app helped me study for a quiz test I had coming, so it's a great tool for home learning.
3. The user interface is one of the simplest I've even seen and this makes it very good so you can focus more on your work.
4. The price is very good for the functionality you are getting and the long time you are going to use it.
|Improvements||1. The app crashed the first time I opened it. After I watched the tutorial I got a black screen and I had to kill the app and reopen it. The second crash was in the settings menu, I tried to send the app via email but crashed, it worked fine the second time.
2. The app is fine to use at home on your iPhone, but teachers use the iPad in the classroom so please make a native version for the bigger screen( kids love bigger screens).
|General review||This is a great learning tool. The interface is simple and clean, letting you to focuse more on your work. The file sharing option in very cool and the folder management is one of the best. The overall value of the app is great and the price is well worth it.|
|What I liked||1. The first thing I noticed was the settings menu, very well done and can't be accessed by mistake when the kid plays alone. The long press thing is very useful.
2. The story is not too long and not too complicated fot a kid that's 4 years old.
3. The app is very colorful and interactive so hi likes it because be can be part of the story
4. The hints (colorful stars) are well made and can be seen very easy by the player.
5. The kid always dances when he hears the Paddle Duck song. He loves it!
6. I like the fact that you can go back if you missed something or want to replay something.
|Improvements||1. After playing the app for several days I can say that the price is too high. It should be 99 cents. The content is limited and the replay value is not one of the best, the kid gets bored and wants another story Ina couple of days
2. As much as I like the hints I would love to be a way to turn them off so the kid can play the app without getting any help, please make this possible in an upcoming version
3. One thing that caught the kids eye was the bee in the flower. After discovering it he wanted to do something interactive with it. Maybe it will become part of the story in a next version
|General review||The app is very well made, with cute characters and a very nice interactive story. The parental controls and the funny song are also a nice touch. BUT the biggest drawback of this app is the price. It's too high for the content you are getting and the low replay value.|
|What I liked||1.the selection of songs is excellent, a lot of popular and well known tunes
2.i played the app with kids and family and we had a lot of fun plus we felt the Christmas spirit
3.the app has a very simple and clean interface, big buttons and bright colours, so kids can use it on there own
4.the value of the app is very good. I bought it now and I can play it every Christmas
|Improvements||1.the app needs a permanent internet connection if you want to use it, so this makes the app limited and you can't use it anywhere you go
2. The fact that the app sings is very useful for children, but for family fun you must add an option so that you have only the negative and the lyrics
3.please make the app go landscape. The text would be bigger and the app would look better plus a lot of people use the iPad in landscape
4.i don't like the fact that you have to go back to the list to play the next song. I tried the next button (when in full screen) but it's not working
|General review||It's Christmas and if you love karaoke this is a great app. The selection of songs is incredible and the menu is clean and easy to use. There are a few negative parts like missing landscape mode and skip to next song, but that's easy to solve in an upcoming update. The value of the app is very good, you buy now and use it every year|
|What I liked||1. The concept behind the app is very interesting. This is the first time I used an app like this and it's useful.
2. The design of the app is very simple and this is a good thing because I'm concentrated only on connecting with friends.
3. The value of the app is very good and the price is perfect for a social app.
|Improvements||1. The social networks that are supported are currently too limited. It needs more options to keep up with other apps like this that are coming on the market.
2. I had some problems connecting to an iPad 3. But it worked well on 2 iPhone 5s, so I'm assuming a fix for the iPad could come in an update.
3. You have to make a native iPad app.
|General review||This is a new and interesting concept with lots of potential. The user interface is clean and simple. The social networks options are pretty limited at the moment but I'm sure it will improve. I had some problems with connecting for the first time but nothing major. Overall a good app with a bright future.|
|What I liked||1. I opened the app and I had lots of help to understand how it works.
2. The app has a good design for kids and the "blackboard" style makes it very friendly for the classroom.
3. The tests are top notch. I can say it's very clear they are make by professional educational people.
|Improvements||1. I tried to turn down the volume when I'm using the app but I couldn't do that, it's persistent. I had to turn my iPad on silent mode to stop the sound.
2. The selection of titles is good but not good enough. I need more options to be able to invest my money in this app by buying the full version.
3. A few times the kid had to write a result ( in numbers) and all of the iPad standard keyboard appeared on the screen. Please fix this !
|General review||This is a very good app to have in the classroom ore at home. The design is very kids friendly and the instructions are top notch. The titles that are available are not sufficient to make this app a must buy but with some hard work from the developer it will be.|
|What I liked||1. The game is great, I never came across such a game concept. And I have to say it's very challenging.
2. This is also an educational app. I payed it with children and in a pub with my friends. And in bough situations I had a lot of fun. The game refers to a wide range of ages.
3. The amount of categories is tremendous ( I purchased the full version because I enjoy the game).
|Improvements||1. I can't get any more radar guns, the only way to get them is to buy them. You should give away some then I finish a category.
2. I don't like the position of the advertising, they are too intrusive. I understand that you have to add them in a lite version but do it more elegant.
3. I would like a pause button, offen I got something to do and the time just expired.
|General review||This is a very well made app with lots of quizzes for you to enjoy with friends and kids. It has manny categories to chose from: animals, cars, aircrafts, motorcycles etc. The concept is unique and certently it's a very good investment and will keep you entertain for hours.|
|What I liked||1. The design of the application is very good. The graphics are very well done and the sounds are excellent and real.
2. The amount of information is really good and it's structured in a simple way so even a chiald can understand it.
3. The application is very cool because the kids can see in more detail the insects they come across in the surroundings.
4. The photo quizzes are well done and can be a good way for kids to learn about. Kids learn easy then they can see a photo of something.
|Improvements||1. The first thing I noticed when I opened the applications was the performance. Switching threw menus is not fluent and the app feels leggy.
2. The back button is not in english, It's chinese or some other character base language.
3. Two photos for each insect is not very good for a 4 dollar application and the videos could be longer and more interesting.
4. I would like to continue listening to the narrator then I'm viewing the photos of the insect.
5. When I press the night button I would like to see insects that are present only at night and on daytime only light insects.
|General review||This is a very good application for kids to see in detail the insects they come across in the surroundings. The design of the app is very good and you can see videos and photos of the insects plus you get a really cool photo base quiz to test the knowledge of your kid. Unfortunately I only can give this app a 3 star rating because of the performance issues I had with it. The menus are very leggy and the entire applications just felt bad.|
|What I liked||1. I tested the app with several friends and the sound was loud and clear over 3G and LTE.
2. The design of the app is very minimalist, simple and really easy to use for all ages.
3. The Facebook massaging feature is really cool and I'm glad I can use this app and delete the messenger app.
4. The service is FREE and this is great.
|Improvements||1. The first thing I would really like to see improved is the sign up feature. For me it was easy but when I asked several people of older ages to sign up, they hesitated when they had to enter the phone number to receive the confirmation code.
2. A lot of people use the app on the iPad. So a native iPad version would be awesome.
|General review||This application is a great way of saving some money on phone bills. The sound is good and the design of the app is simple and easy to use. The fact that this is a FREE calling service is great, but the low number of people on this service is the biggest disadvantage.|
|What I liked||1. The concept of the game is great. I had lots of fun with it. The replay value is present here.
2. The controls are very precise and this makes the gameplay great.
3. The fact that you don't have to buy in-app purchase is a nice feature. I reached multiplier 20 in a few minutes, no need to buy x16.
4. The integration of Game Center is a nice thing. I can watch leaderboards and unlock achievements. This adds more challenge to the game.
5. A good thing that the app is a universal one. I can play it on my iPad and iPhone and pay only once.
|Improvements||1. The application can be played on the iPad, but it's hard to keep something this heavy a long time in your hands and steer the ball. The iPhone version is much more playable and maybe the iPad mini.
2. You need to add some themes or the possibility to change the background or the color of the ball. More variety.
3. The icons in the menu need to have an explication under them. You need to add under each icon what it dose.
4. The volume knobs are cool but they lag on my iPad 2 and on the iPhone 4S, but they work great on my iPhone 5.
5. The ambient music can get boring after a short time.
|General review||Overall this is a great concept. The gameplay is easy to understand and to master. The graphics are simple, but they need more color options in the future. The game can be a bit hard to play on the iPad because of it's size, but the iPhone version is much more playable. The in-app purchases can be unlocked by playing the game so no need to spend extra money and this thing is hudge.|
|What I liked||1. The application is very good at keeping me entertain for hours, because I'm a crime watcher and I enjoy reading about the characters.
2. The application has a educational side to it, you can learn a lot of interesting things.
3. The design of the application is very good and simple (except for the start screen ).
4. The replay value is good because you don't always get the same characters to identify.
|Improvements||1. When I opened the application I didn't know how to start the game. The
2. Please add some background music, I didn't hear a thing. And no music is very bad, it gets really strange after some minutes.
3. The scoring sistem is strage and you don't have a tutorial at the beginning to explain it. Please improve this.
|General review||This is a good game, especially for a crime lover. The design of the app is simple and easy to use, except for the start screen where the CONTINUE button is too small and at the bottom (it took me several minutes to start the game). The replay value is good and the app gets educational if you read the characters biography.|
|What I liked||1. I like the gameplay of the application. It doesn't have only one game mode and this is very nice because kids get bored of the same thing after a short period of time.
2. The graphics are very good, colorful and professionally design. And so are the characters!
3. The practice section is very well made, with specific numbers and statistics on the left.
|Improvements||1. This is a kids application too, so, it would be very nice if the characters would speak out and not let the kid read all of the story.
2. The "back" button is design to look more as a "replay" button and this is kind of confusing.
3. The loading time for every menu I open is annoying after you spend some time in the app.
4. I didn't see any difficulty options and for a 4 year old kid is too hard to collect all the coins and drag all the chests. Please add some options to enhance the gameplay in a future version of the application.
|General review||This is a good way for your kid to learn basic math in a nice game environment. The visuals are excellent and the gameplay is well done and different. There are a few cosmetic problems, but nothing majore for me, so I have to give this app a 5 star rating.|
|What I liked||1. I like the visuals of the game. The graphics are very well done and the characters are very cute. Kids love them.
2. The concept of the game is certainly unique and very interesting, plus it has lots of potential.
3. The music in the application is enjoyable and the animal sounds are realistic and very funny.
4. I like that you can ROAR! instead of taping the play button. Very nice touch.
|Improvements||1. The tutorial is missing. I know it's a basic game (you only have to ROAR!), but I gave this app to a friend and he didn't know what to do it it.
2. The graphics are excellent, but the animations are very bad, you could work on this and make them more fluid.
3. It would be nice if the app only worked with a ROAR, but now it works with almost anything loud the kids say.
4. The price is too high, this app at best should be 1 dollar, if not FREE, because the replay value is just not here. The kids got very bored of the app after they played with it for minutes. The content is very limited.
|General review||This is an interesting and unique game for kids, with good graphics and funny characters, but with lots of things to improve in a future version. The replay value is just not here and the price of the app is too high for me, because of the limited content.|
|What I liked||1. I like that this application is very well made and from the beginning it was developed as a quality security tool.
2. This is a premium application at a great price: FREE and I hope you keep it this way.
3 The user-interface is very simple and easy to use for all ages and kind of people.
|Improvements||1. When I first opened the application, I received a message saying that i can't recover or reset my password. This is kind of scary for me and I highly suggest you do something about it.
2. I'm afraid that my data is only passworded and not actually encrypted in some way. You should let people know this. And if not, encrypt the informations.
|General review||This application is amazing. A very good security tool to use for all your devices. I hope the data in this app is encrypted, but I don't know for sure. Overall this is a must-have application for security reasons and has an unbelievable price for a premium solution: FREE|
|What I liked||1. The visuals are very well done, high quality graphics, good artwork in the book.
2. I like the "early readers" and "advanced" options. Very nicely made and very useful feature for adults or kids.
3. The "paint" section and "activities" section are some good content that I get for free, presented in a very nice way.
|Improvements||1. When we read the book, I would like to be a way to auto-turn the page and after I finished the book it would be nice to have a button to go "home" without searching threw the menu.
2. The paint section is nice, but I would like to see more colors in some way. You could add something for me to make my own color or combine two of them.
3. It would be very nice to add more languages. Thiis is a very good application and I would like to see it get more attention.
|General review||This is a wonderful application to have on my iPad. The quality is very high and the structure of the story is great. Some other mini-games add to the value of this app and I can definitely say this is a 5 star book worth every penny, especially with the Easter fresh in our minds.|
|What I liked||1. The application has really good visuals, vivid colors that attract the kids and a nice and happy music that they enjoy.
2. The content I got for 1 dollar is very good. There are a lot of games to play from all kind of categories.
3. The last matryoshka (that I thought it was a time test) is very nice. The kids can test what they learned in a very nice and elegant way.
4. The 3 second press on the menu button is a nice safety touch.
|Improvements||1. Most of the animals are well done and the kids can recognize them, but there are some animals that are not very well made and kids keep asking what are whey. This needs some improvements and maybe adding a voice that speaks out the animal when we tap on it.
2. After we finished repacking the dolls, the mini-game appeared and we had to tap on a lot of different things. It's hard for an adult to get them all, but kids are way slower, so you can imagine what happens.
3. A short tutorial at the beginning of the game would be a nice touch, not all people know what martyoshka is.
|General review||This is a very good educational tool for kids and toddlers. The visuals are very pleasant and the music is perfect for this game. The value is certainly here because I paid a dollar and I get a lot of content. Overall, a 5 star application that needs some very small changes to make it perfect.|
|What I liked||1. This is a wonderful tool to have in the classroom. It's very hard now-days to teach the old fashion way, with all the gadgets that they have home, so being able to teach on the iPad is quite amazing. I have them very interested in math.
2. The value is very good, I buy this application once and I can use it for years to come.
3. The Bluetooth feature is very nice, so they can work in tandem and 2 heads are always better then one.
|Improvements||1. I exited the application by pressing the home button and after some time I tried to reopen it from the multitasking menu. The application was frozen and I had to manually kill the app and reopen it. This happened twice on my iPad 2 with the latest OS.
2. The animation when the dice roll is kind of sluggish. Please improve this and you can add some new dice colors and models.
|General review||Overall, this is a fantastic tool for teaching in school or maybe at home with parents. The application is very well developed and with a clean design. The value is certently here, because you can use it multiple years and the bluetooth feature is a great addition.|
|What I liked||1. This is a nice and very good looking game for little girls. The colors really pop up and the design of the objects you buy is very good.
2. Kids enjoy this game because it's structured like a story. They fallow a cute character on a shopping spree.
3. I like what she spends her own savings from the piggy bank to buy all the thing she wants. And that she needs to work for gems.
4. Afer finishing the game the app automaticaly closed. This is a nice touch.
|Improvements||1. When I first opened the game the loading time was quite long. This is not a big deal, but when the kids start playing there were lots of times they had to wait for loading times. This makes the game feel bad.
2. Along with the loading time, the app lags (on my iPad 2 with iOS 6.1.3). The ball game is laggy and hard for me to play let-alone a kid. This too adds to the overall feel of the game
3. In the bonus levels after finishing I don't get to see how many gems I collected. The score disappears too fast.
4. The game can get a little boring after playing for awhile. The game are repetitive.
|General review||This is a wonderful application for little girls. The visuals are really eye catching and kids love the bright colors. The story is nice too, following a girl to shopping and playing mini-games at the same time is quite nice. But all o this good content is placed in a laggy application with long loading time and unfortunately the experience is affected. This is why I give it 3 stars.|
|What I liked||- The game is very educational for kids and even for me with the nice Grown-up's Corner
- It has lots of different games and I like that it has "hard" and "easy" so the game is aimed for different ages
- The paint is really nice. In most paint games you chose a color and with one tap you fill out a lot of space. This is not the case here and it gets challenging to paint something with brushes or chalk
- The content keeps adding up and after all the different game the app still has some other great features like: music, stickers and learn. A nice bonus that add to the overall value of the app
|Improvements||- On the turtle spot the difference game the kids had some difficulties becouse the voice asked them to spot differences in the turtle tank, but not all the diferences were in the tank. The flashlight and another object were near the tank. Very confusing!
-The back button looks like a reverse PLAY button, please add a real back button
- It would be very nice if after we find the animal (for example the dog) another voice would say "i'm a dog!". The same voice is all over the application and this can get boring for kids
- There are times the application feals kind of sluggish, but nothing major
|General review||This is a very good application for kids. The number o mini-game you get is awesome and you even get a few extras like painting. The price can be a little high, but the content really justifies it. The app has some performance problems and uses a lot of RAM, because if i press the home button, open another app and try to switch back to this app, it stars the app like I open it for the first time. Minor problems that dont affect the value and my 5|
|What I liked||1. This application has some very good visuals and well done animations. There is no lag and the performance is excellent.
2. At first I didn't knew there were some missions in this game, but after I found out, the game was way better. You have something to constantly challenge you.
3. I like that the game is FREE and you dont have to spend money unless you really want to do so.
|Improvements||1. The ads are kind of intrusive, I understand it's a FREE game, but after every time a level ends an ad pops up. It gets annoying after some time.
2. If I buy a power up and don't use it in the game, the next time I start one i'm charged again for that specific power up. Unused power ups should remain in my possession until I want to use them.
3. The settings menu is kind of empty. I only have sound options. You should have more languages or some sort of game modes, or maybe a difficulty level option for kids.
|General review||This is a very good game to play as a time killing alternative or with my friends. The app is smooth and the visuals are very nice. There are some things that need work, like the power up problem I told you about, but nothing major. The missions really make this game what it is and for a FREE game, it's great!|
|First 5 minutes video review|
|Video review once the app was mastered|